Our small village is located 988 meters of altitude. It is so called because, on this hill, Benedictine monks had found refuge and solitude, they were the first settlers of our mountain areas. Towards the end of the thirteenth century the small landowners of the various rural centers established a free municipality and chose a central spot, easy to defend, since then they called it “the mountain of Monaco”. In defense of their freedom the inhabitants built the massive castle walls, rugged and interspersed with large towers. In the following years his story merges with the history of other towns of the Papal States until the unification of Italy. It is worth a visit to the two churches leaning to the remains of the castle walls: the church of San Biagio, whose origins date back to the fifteenth century and the church of St. Benedict who owns a majestic portal dating back to the first half of the sixteenth century. Important is also the Church of Santa Maria in Casalicchio in the village of Tofe, dating back to the fourteenth century and the Romanesque church of San Lorenzo, near the village of Vallegrascia, whose origins date back to 1100, whose crypt holds special columns with carved capitals with floral and animal motifs .
Every year on the last weekend of October, in Montemonaco the traditional “Chestnuts Festival” takes place to promote the goodness of brown chestnuts and other typical products of Montemonaco. The village hosts a characteristic market of crafts and local products, while in the square you can enjoy the caldaroste and many desserts made with chestnuts, expertly prepared by the women of the village and taste the delicious mulled wine.